Affordable Original Art… ACEOs
ACEOs are Art Cards Editions and Originals and they are a fun and clever way to collect original art at an affordable price. ACEOs are the size of a baseball trading card (2.5 x 3.5 inches). Or for those of you not into trading cards they are a 1/2-inch longer and wider then a business cards. ACEOs grew out of Artist Trading Card movement. Artist Trading Cards are for trade and are generally not for sale. Artists started selling cards… and so grew a new movement.
Since the format size is small usually the price is also. ACEOs can be found in most any medium… painting, illustrations, mix media, textiles, etc. They can be elaborate or simple. Some artists work exclusively in ACEOs or small works of art, others use the size as a warm-up exercise or to sketch out ideas. I’ve created ACEOs out of larger failed paintings.
ACEOs are so popular now that special canvases, papers, and other mediums are now manufactured in the 2.5 x 3.5 format.
If you are interested in collecting original ACEOs, be sure to check carefully that they are not an edition or reproduction. The description should clearly define whether it is an original or reproduction.
I will admit you have to search through a lot of… let’s say unappealing art, but the gems that you find are worth it.
Below are some wonderful ACEO works of art. As with all of my featured art/artists these are pieces I would purchase for myself or as a gift.
- Arctic Wolf Nap in the Snow by Gretchen Del Rio
- Magnolia No. 2 by Jessica Doyle
- Ribbon and Drape Abstract by Chris Kapono of Mandarin Moon
- The Sleeping Bird Series by Natasha Newton of The Blackbird Sings
- Moody Owl 14 by Liese Martin of Dead Pan Alley
- I’m Mad at You by Nicole Wong
- Sea Shore Mixed Media by Helen Smith of Hypsela Handmade. This one is not quite a perfect ACEO size, but too beautiful to resist.
- Frozen Forest by Rita A. Squier
- Landscape No. 5 by Kathy Morton-Stanion