Exploring Art… Mixed Media
Mixed media is art that combines various traditionally visual art media. For example, a work on canvas that combines paint, ink, and collage. Mixed media can include painting, assemblage, collage, altered art. A variety of techniques can be used.
The history of mixed media is a long one. Although they weren’t called mixed media artists, artists of the Byzantine Empire, 330 to 1453 A.D., often used gilded gold leaf on their paintings, mosaics, frescoes and manuscripts, thus creating mixed media. Use of the term began circa 1912 with Cubist collages. Mixed media is now an accessible art form for both professional and amateur artists.
Below are some wonderful original works of mixed media art. As with all of my featured art/artists these are pieces I would purchase for myself or as a gift.
- She Knew Her Sister by Jeane Meyers
- Spring Showers by Patti Roberts-Pizzuto
- Dirty Progress 2 by Michael Chilcutt
- Doves and Feather by MD Cunningham of Paper Coyote
- Stamped Eggs by Michelle McFadden
- Organic by Ingrid Padilla
- Indelible by Christina Romeo
- Delicate by Pam Carriker of Art at the Speed of Light
- Flowerbud Snow by Lynne Mori of Holly Hock Fortune
- We Stayed Along the Shore by Sarah Ahearn