Exploring Art… Typography
Typography as an art? Of course! I started out my career as a typesetter, and let me tell you, it takes a great eye to do great typography or calligraphy. Take me to a movie and I will critique the typography. Nothing makes my head explode faster then bad typography. While I’m more lenient on artist (there is no bad art, just unappealing to me), not so with typography. The world seems filled with bad typography. So I love to celebrate it when it is an art form.
Typography is the art and technique of arranging type or type design. I’m including in my definition calligraphy and illuminations, all artistic forms of writing.
Below are some lovely pieces of typographical art. Some are originals, and some are prints, with a variety of prices.
- Dreams by Seb Lester
- Baseball Stadiums by Stephen Fowler of Gemini Studio Art
- Animalphabet by Helen Lang
- Forbidden by Arteriole
- A Note to Self by A.U. Mirza
- Heart by Yulia Brodskaya. While you cannot purchase her work, you can’t help but admire it and hope she does start selling art pieces.
- Universal Love by Susana Parada
- I Bet You Never Knew That by Lucy Stephens
- You Are The Beez Neez by Julene Harrison
- Peace, Love, Joy in Korean by Grace Hester