2011 Handmade Gifts for the Host/Hostess
We are creeping into the party time of year. As the holiday season kicks into gear, it’s a good idea to be prepared for giving your host/hostess a little thank you. There’s no better way to enchant your host or hostess then with a handmade gift. Shopping handmade contributes to local economies, supports small business, and often helps with recycling. Join the handmade movement and purchase handmade this year.
I tried to keep all these suggestion at an affordable price, with one exception (too beautiful to leave out) they are all under $40.00.
- Do they love modern design with a retro touch? This serving plate can be a perfect gift. From the artisan… “It was hand-built by me, decorated with a chartreuse green matte glaze, white satin glaze, chocolate gloss glaze & leaves design, and low-fired in an electric kiln.” You can choose this design or other simple and modern designed pieces from Hope Johnson.
- Perfect for the lover of all things food, a journal/recipe book. From the artisan… “Come celebrate food and its connection to your life with this handmade journal. It’s all about savoring the good food and great moments in life.” You can purchase this journal or others from Making This Home.
- Does your host/hostess grow their own herbs? They will love these wonderful garden markers made from vintage silverware. From the artisan… “This is a set of four garden markers. The name of each herb is hand hammered into a vintage silverplated spoon. This set includes four markers for use indoors or out….the patina will just keep getting better.” You can purchase these or other markers from Wooden Hive.
- Bring along a tin filled with mouth-watering shortbread cookies. From the artisan… “Freshly baked to order, your customized cookie gift will include 18 sparkly snowflake shortbread cookies, each measuring about 1 3/4″, that are made from our signature shortbread recipe, hand rolled, cut & decorated with your choice of sanding sugar colors ~ and than a final dusting of white edible glitter for extra sparkle. They will be packaged inside a white, round 7″ tin complete with a festive red grosgrain ribbon, Butter Blossoms Christmas label and gift tag.” You can purchase these yummies or many others from Butter Blossoms.
- The hostesss with the most-ess is always prepared for an upcoming event. Help her along with these beautiful letter pressed cards which can be used for any occasion. From the artisan… “These bright and cheery folded note cards would be perfect for any occasion–birthday, thank you, quick note to a friend, etc. Each card was printed by hand on a vintage platen letterpress.” You can purchase these note cards or many others from Lucky Bee Press.
- My favorite style of apron is simple yet versatile. It fits over anything and covers thoroughly, therefore no worrying about the party clothes underneath. It has no ties and is easy to slip off. From the artisan… “This pinafore is very versatile and easy to wear. Made from pure linen with the edges left raw and fringed.” You can purchase this apron or others from Retro Home.
- A perfect gift for that wine tasting party or the wine connoisseur, enameled wine glass charms. From the artisan… “Handmade Sonoma County Wine Country Wine Charms are 3/4 inch copper discs, individually hand flamed with vitreous glass enamel. These charms have been placed on individual, hand forged antique brass wire rings to wrap around your favorite wine glasses. One clear bead has been added to enhance and to lend a bit more charm to the charm.” You can purchase these and other colors from Gasquetgirl.
- For the master of the BBQ a variety of dry rub spices. From the artisan… “Perfect for grilling, roasting and smoking beef, pork, chicken, seafood and vegetables.” You can purchase this set of 12 sampler pack or others from Craig’s Market.